Saturday, May 15, 2010

Preakness Picks (or guesses) and a QB for UC?

It should be another great race at Pimlico, with Calvin Borel and Super Saver looking to nail down the second leg of the Triple Crown. We'll see if the jockey change on Lookin' at Lucky makes a difference, I'm saying it won't be enough. I think Super Saver wins again, with Lookin' at Lucky in the hunt. So much for going out on a limb, huh? I had Paddy O'Prado in my top 3 at the Derby but I'm downgrading him in this one. His turf background was good for the deep slop at Churchill, but the track should be clean and green at Pimlico Saturday. Therefore, I don't see a repeat performance. I'm going to go with Jackson Bend, with a wary eye on Dublin. Garrett Gomez is riding Dublin, and he's the jockey Bob Baffert fired from riding Lookin' at Lucky. You think Gomez might be out to prove something? I think the slop hurt Jackson Bend and Dublin at the Derby, and Dublin's 17th starting position didn't help either. It's hard to separate the two, but JB is coming off a nice workout. So it's 8-7-6-12 for me.

By the way, if Borel gets it done at Pimlico, I don't see him getting it done at Belmont. Trainer Nick Zito had Ice Box skip the Preakness in order to get ready for the grueling Belmont Stakes. With a horse that can kick like that, I have to like the chances for Ice Box to blow them away down the stretch of that mile and a half meat-grinder.

I'm hearing former Georgia quarterback Zach Mettenberger would like another chance, and he wants that chance at U.C. It was believed Louisville was the front-runner, but I'm told Mettenberger made it clear to U.C. late this week that he wants to become a Bearcat. But because of this legal issue, Mettenberger will be meeting with the higher-ups in Clifton. If he handles those meetings well, and everyone signs off, then he's in. The guy is 6-5, 230 lbs., and has a cannon. Published reports had him winning the starting job at Georgia's spring game. Zach redshirted last year. I'm told he will sit out next season and then have three years left. U.C. expects to have this cleared up soon, perhaps before the end of the weekend, if not by the end of Saturday. It appears he's more of an NFL type pocket passer, and I'm told the NFL will have a place for him in a few years.

As soon as the ball went over the wall, the groaning started. "Why does Dusty even pitch to Albert Pujols?" Okay. So you are going to walk him each and every time? Every time he comes to the plate you are going to give him a free pass? It was the third inning of a scoreless game with a man on first and one out. Call me stupid, but I would not have walked him either. Now, if you want to ask why Ramon Hernandez was pinch-hitting in the 9th instead of Laynce Nix, well, then we have something to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment