Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Can There Really Be Too Much Golf?

I don't think so. I haven't been around this little corner of the world lately because I have a problem. In my opinion, it's a good problem to have: The determination to fix a crappy golf game. I went through this last year and it helped. I have gone to a range to hit a bucket or played at least nine holes the past nine consecutive days. Based on Tuesday's bucket, I'm not improving much. But I will. I must improve. That's what happens when you you're bitten by the bug of a game that seems so easy. But alas, comes the U.S. Open, and the hackers' revenge. The very best in the world get to play in a tournament that will test all phases of the game. And even better than that, the very best golfers in the world will turn in a few scores that resemble mine at the easiest local city courses. I can't wait to watch these guys hitting out of knee deep or ankle deep rough. That's what I have to do fellas! Of course I hit my ball a lot further off the fairways to find comparable foliage. But find it I do! I'm not sure how I stack the majors at the professional level, but the U.S. Open has to be at the top of the list. I love the Masters. I love the British. But the constant "baseball bat to the knees" that is the U.S. Open satisfies the morbid side of a man who wants to be sure the rest of the population is human too. So try and hit a 3-iron out of the deep rough boys, try to hit that pitching wedge through a tree. And when that ball cracks a limb and shoots a little deeper into the woods, I'll try to have some sympathy. I'll try t0 feel your pain. But mostly, I'll feel an urge to hit another bucket of balls so I don't end up playing like you did in this glorious tournament known at the U.S. Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment